Kangaroo court about sums it up. From Moon of Alabama at moonofalabama.org:
Britain is currently holding an obscene show trial against Wikileaks founder Julian Assange. The hearing is designed to end with the extradition of Assange to the United States or with his death. In the U.S. he would be accused of a conspiracy to reveal secrets and put into jail for the rest of his life.
Over the years Wikileaks has revealed material on many important issues. As Patrick Cockburn remarked: With WikiLeaks, Julian Assange did what all journalists should aspire to do. Wikileaks provided the material its sources revealed to partner media who profited from it, but then went on to betray Assange. As Kit Klarenberg wrote a few days ago: ‘They Should Be In Jail’: How The Guardian and New York Times ‘Set Up’ Julian Assange.
Those who are not familiar with the false case against Julian Assange should read this interview with Nils Melzer, the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, who provides detailed insight. In Melzer’s learned view Assange, as the main editor of Wikileaks, has not committed any crime.
Melzer has also written at his medium page about the case:
The false ‘rape’ case in Sweden which was used to incarcerate Assange is also detailed in Marcello Ferrada de Noli’s book: Sweden’s Geopolitical Case Against Assange 2010-2019. It can be downloaded for free.
That the current extradition case against Assange is crooked and that a bad outcome is likely assured can be deducted from the persons behind the current proceedings. Matt Kennard and Mark Curtis at Declassified UK have done some digging:
- REVEALED: Chief magistrate in Assange case received financial benefits from secretive partner organisations of UK Foreign Office
- UK minister who approved Trump’s request to extradite Assange spoke at secretive US conferences with people calling for him to be “neutralized”
Craig Murray and Kevin Gosztola are in the court room to document the proceedings. Gosztola tweets live (day 1, day 2, day 3) from the Woolwich courthouse in London and provides daily write ups at Shadowproof.com:
- Assange’s Defense Details CIA-Backed Espionage Operation, Trump’s Politicization Of Justice Department
- Assange Extradition Hearing: Chelsea Manning’s Grand Jury Resistance A Major Hurdle For Prosecutors
Ambassador Craig Murray publishes daily summaries at his site:
- Your Man in the Public Gallery – Assange Hearing Day 1
- Your Man in the Public Gallery – Assange Hearing Day 2
George Galloway held a speech yesterday about the abstruse processes around the hearing. The video of it is here.
One hopes that the British court will not extradite but free Assange. Unfortunately that seems currently unlikely. But the case will be fought hard and over many month and sometimes good things do happen.