Don’t sell the US of A short, we’re still number one in one category (other than money spent on the military). From Tyler Durden at zerohedge.com:
When President Trump promised last fall that under a Trump administration America would “would win so much you’ll get tired of winning,” we suspect this is not what he had in mind. According to the latest international obesity study from the Organization For Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), America is by far the fattest nation in the world with just over 38% of the adult population considered ‘obese.’
– The prevalence of obesity doubled in 73 countries between 1980 and 2015and continuously increased in most of the other countries.
– China and India had the highest number of obese children. China and the U.S. had the highest number of obese adults.
– Excess body weight accounted for about 4 million deaths — or 7.1 percent of all deaths — in 2015.
– Almost 70 percent of deaths related to a high BMI were due to cardiovascular disease.
– The study finds evidence that having a high BMI causes leukemia and several types of cancer, including cancers of the esophagus, liver, breast, uterus, ovary, kidney and thyroid.
– In rich and poor countries, obesity rates increased, indicating “the problem is not simply a function of income or wealth. Changes in the food environment and food systems are probably major drivers. Increased availability, accessibility, and affordability of energy-dense foods, along with intense marketing of such foods, could explain excess energy intake and weight gain among different populations. The reduced opportunities for physical activity that have followed urbanization and other changes in the built environment have also been considered as potential drivers; however, these changes generally preceded the global increase in obesity and are less likely to be major contributors.”
To continue reading: Winning: U.S. Crushes All Other Countries In Latest Obesity Study