Who knew that Big Macs were a stalwart of public health? From Dr. Joseph Mercola at theburningplatform.com:
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) enlisted McDonald’s to promote its COVID-19 public health education campaign
- McDonald’s produces and promotes some of the unhealthiest ultraprocessed food on the planet — food that likely played a role in making COVID-19 outcomes worse
- The joint initiative debuted May 2021 and included use of a McDonald’s billboard in Times Square to promote COVID-19 shots, and HHS promotional material on its hot McCafé cups and McDelivery seal stickers
- The packaging including imaging and text promoting HHS’ We Can Do This initiative, which is intended to “increase confidence in COVID-19 vaccines and reinforce basic prevention measures”
- By naming McDonald’s and other junk food giants as partners in the fight against a pandemic, health officials further normalized the consumption of foods that lead to chronic disease and premature death
McDonald’s and “public health” don’t even belong in the same sentence, but this didn’t stop the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) from enlisting the fast food giant to promote its COVID-19 public health education campaign.