Better late than never, but in the alternative media there have been articles about vitamin D and the coronavirus for almost six months. From dailymail.co.uk:
- Boston University researchers found that COVID019 patients with ‘sufficient’ levels of vitamin D wer about 52 percent less likely to die after hospitalization
- Rates of severe illness were about 13 percent lower in vitamin D-sufficient patients and intubation was 46% less common
- Vitamin D plays a crucial role in the immune system’s ability to fight infection and keep inflammation – which kills many COVID-19 patients – in check
- About 42 percent of Americans are vitamin D deficient, with higher rates among elderly Americans and people of color
- Black, Hispanic and elderly people are also among the hardest hit by coronavirus
People who get enough vitamin D are at a 52 percent lower risk of dying of COVID-19 than people who are deficient for the ‘sunshine vitamin,’ new research reveals.
Vitamin D plays a crucial role in the immune system and may combat inflammation. These features may make it a key player in the body’s fight against coronavirus.
Rates of vitamin D deficiency are also higher in some of the same groups who have been hardest hit by coronavirus: people of color and elderly people. It’s by no means a causal link, but suggests that vitamin D could play a role in who gets COVI-19, who gets sickest from it, and who is spared altogether.