If unity was supposed the hallmark of the EU, then it most certainly is dead. From Giulio Meotti at gatestoneinstitute.org:
- The truth is that there is no “Union”.
- The coronavirus now has put the European Union and its comfort zone face-to-face with all its weaknesses, decadence and cowardice.
- Another merciless battle Italy fought with the EU was for protective face-masks. France adopted a policy of requisitioning them; Germany banned their export. Those unilateral decisions undermined a much-touted EU principle: the free movement of goods in the single market.
- As L’Express exposed, France seized four million masks belonging to a Swedish company and that had been intended, in part, for Italy and Spain.
- When Italy and Greece were overwhelmed by migrants from the Middle East and Africa, the EU countries refused to take their “share” of migrants. Lacking a policy to stop the flow of mass immigration, Europe decided to leave the southern countries to their fate.
|(Image source: iStock)|
The new coronavirus appears to be tearing apart the fragile framework of the European Union.
“Europe” said the former Commission chief and a EU godfather, Jacques Delors, “is in “mortal danger“.