Nobody can play you for a sucker without your consent. Germany is defended by the US military because the US government wants Germany to be dependent on it as an essential component of the global empire. From Mike Mish Shedlock at mishtalk.com:
Let’s discuss Germany, NATO, defense spending, the EU, and a return to historical allies highlighted by Aukus.
America’s New Strategy
Excellent video podcast by George Friedman on Aukus, NATO, the EU, and America’s New Strategy.
For background on the following video, please see The Aukus Submarine Crisis Take II, Triumph of the British
- When we look at the allies we can count on, they were not the French. They were the British and the Australians. The French weren’t there.
- We ask the question what does NATO do for the problems the US has at this point?
- NATO is weakened by the Europeans. To have a military alliance, you have to have a military.
- The NATO countries don’t have force enough to help up. Nor are they interested in spending the money.
- Germany is the fourth largest country in the world. They should not have to be defended by the United States. They can defend themselves.
- There is no common European foreign policy. So we are looking for a new relationship.
- This [Aukus] is the one that existed since World War II. So naturally they [Australia] bought American submarines instead of French submarines. Life goes on.
- Europe has left us with no choice. First, there is no Europe. There is a bunch of countries in Europe.
- Second, they take actions based on their own national interests.
- It is not a case of the US adopting this strategy [Aukus], it is the strategy of Europe.
- You can only be bilateral, there is no Europe to work with.